Citi Benefits Handbook
Notice of Adverse Benefit Determinations
If your claim is denied, you will receive a written or an electronic notice within 90 days after receipt of your claim (180 days if special circumstances apply and you are notified of the extension in writing within the initial 90-day period and informed of the anticipated benefit determination date. The explanation will include the following:
- The specific reasons for the denial;
- The specific reference to the Plan documentation that supports these reasons;
- The additional information you must provide to perfect your claim and the reasons why that information is necessary;
- The procedure available for a further review of your claim, including a statement regarding your right to bring action under Section 502(a) of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended (ERISA) if your claim is denied on review; and
- A statement disclosing any internal rule, guideline, protocol or similar criterion relied on in making the adverse decision (or a statement that such information will be provided free of charge upon request), if applicable.