Citi Benefits Handbook
In addition to any benefit-specific exclusion, benefits will not be paid for any covered injury or covered loss that, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, is caused by or results from any of the following unless coverage is specifically provided for by name in this document:
- Service in the armed forces or unit auxiliary thereto;
- Aviation, other than a fare-paying passenger on a scheduled or charter flight operated by a scheduled airline;
- War, whether declared or undeclared, or act of war, or participation in a felony, riot or insurrection;
- Suicide or attempted suicide;
- Intentionally self-inflicted injury;
- Physical or mental illness or infirmity, or the diagnosis or treatment of such illness or infirmity; or
- Infection, other than infection occurring in an external, accidental wound;
- Loss caused by or contributed to as a result of voluntary actions such as the voluntary intake or use, by any means of:
- Any drug, medication or sedative, unless it is taken or used as prescribed by a physician or an over-the-counter drug, medication or sedative taken as directed;
- Intoxication; benefits will not be paid for any loss in which the injured party is intoxicated at the time of the incident and is the operator of a vehicle or other device involved in the incident. Intoxicated means that the injured person's blood alcohol level met or exceeded the level that creates a legal presumption of intoxication under the laws of the jurisdiction in which the incident occurred;
- Alcohol in combination with any drug, medication or sedative; or
- Poison, gas or fumes.
MetLife will deem a loss to be the direct result of an accidental injury if it results from unavoidable exposure to the elements and such exposure was a direct result of an accident.
If you and your spouse/partner are injured in the same accident and die within 365 days as a result of injuries in such accident, the full amount that MetLife will pay for your spouse's/partner's loss of life will be increased to equal the full amount payable for your loss of life.